Thursday, July 16, 2009

Now Why Didn't I Think of That?

I am in the process of trying to de-clutter some things around our house. We have a little home and Mike and I are both clutter bugs. Add in the rummaging I'm doing for the little one and we have too much STUFF in too small of a space. Oh, how we hope that our little guy will not be a clutter bug!

So, I'm going through many, many magazines that I had saved over the last few years. I've got back issues of O, Real Simple and Money Magazine. I'm trying to go through them again and get any information or recipes out that I feel the need to save. Then I'm taking them to work for people to browse while at our Starbucks. After that they are going in the recycling at work unless other people take them home first. I love the fact that they are living at least one extra life!

Today I wanted to share a tip I found in the Real Simple from August of 2005. They did a piece on other uses for appliances that many people have around the house. Some were very obvious to me (using a Crock-Pot to keep hot cider or cheese fondue warm during a party), but others made me go "Why didn't I think of that?" The ideas that really appealed to me had to do with an ice cream maker. Maybe the heat caused these ideas to sound so yummy to me?

So what can you do with an ice cream maker other than make ice cream?

*Make slurpees! Pour a 12 oz can of cola (or other flavor soda) into the machine. Run for 10-15 minutes and when a thick slush has formed scoop into two glasses and slurp away! I'm thinking Mike would LOVE this done with root beer.

*Make margaritas! Pour all your favorite margarita ingredients except the alcohol into the machine. Once frozen add the tequila and triple sec and start the party!

*Make frozen hot chocolate! Make your favorite hot chocolate (homemade or instant) and pour into the machine. After about 20 minutes you can sit back and enjoy the yumminess!

*Make a frozen lime rickey? No idea what this is, but it sounds pretty good. Pour 6 oz of seltzer, 1 oz of simple syrup and 1 oz of lime juice into the machine. Freeze for 15-20 minutes and give it a whirl for yourself!

Don't these sound interesting? I realize that you are using some electricity, but if you compare the price of having some yummy unique treats at home to going out for a 7-11 Slurpee or other frozen goody you are saving some real money. We do not have an ice cream maker, but I think I'm adding it to my rummage sale list!

What fun summer treats do you enjoy? Find more great tips at Tammy's Recipes!

Heather

5 comments:

  1. frozen hot chocolate sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that sounds like great uses for an ice cream maker. i have to add that to my list of items to look out for while i'm bargain hunting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm going to have to try this with the soda. granted i have a full size ice cream maker, but maybe for dd's birthday coming up next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA !!!!!!!!! I bought a ice cream maker at good will and we used it once... after I bought all the ingredients...UGH.they were not cheap...
    ..it was fun for the kids..

    but the soda thing...WOW that is great... !!!!
    Thanks for the tip !!!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I thought the same thing. The ingredients for homemade ice cream are a bit cost prohibitive, but the soda thing wouldn't be too bad. And some of the other ideas are really fun sounding too! A great way to use an appliance that many just store away.

    Let me know how it turns out,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete